Inpatient Chemical Dependency Services
The Chemical Dependency Service at Maryland General Hospital provides inpatient treatment to individuals in need of detoxification for drug or alcohol dependency. Our services guide patients on the road to recovery and are provided in a caring, non-judgmental environment away from daily stress and pressure. We are sensitive to each person’s need for privacy and confidentiality.
Our services include:
- An initial assessment of the patient’s needs, including medical history and physical, a complete laboratory work-up and a nursing evaluation
- A team approach to treatment, including medical stabilization and other chemical dependency services
- Discharge planning, including referral to outpatient services, residential services, halfway houses and other community resources
- No waiting lists: Admission to the program is quick so treatment can begin immediately. Services are available seven days a week including holidays.>
- Patient-centered care: Care is provided with respect in open access medical units rather than locked wards. Our friendly staff treats all patients with dignity and provides courteous, confidential and professional services of the highest quality.
- Immediate help for people in crisis: Treatment begins with a medically supervised hospital stay. The patient’s needs are assessed with a thorough medical history and physical, complete set of lab tests and an evaluation by a specially trained nurse.
- Discharge planning: The staff works closely with the patient from the beginning to plan treatment options to continue care after inpatient treatment has been completed. Before discharge, the patient is referred to a community-based after-care program that will support and continue the recovery process.
- Access to treatment resources: We work with a network of after-care providers to make sure each patient gets the care he or she needs to continue recovery. We can connect patients with intensive outpatient services, partial hospitalization programs, residential programs, emergency shelters, halfway houses, and other community resources.
- Affordable treatment in a convenient location: We accept Medicaid, Medicare, and most health insurance plans. Maryland General is conveniently located in downtown Baltimore. It’s easy to get here by car, bus, light rail, or subway.