Are You at Risk for Heart Problems?
One of the best ways to prevent heart disease or decrease your chance of having a heart attack is by paying close attention to your risk factors and learning the warning signs of a heart attack. Women should pay special attention to these warning signs since they are often more subtle than women than in men.
- Family history of heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Cigarette smoking
- Hardening of the arteries (artherosclerosis)
- Use of recreational drugs like cocaine
Warning Signs of a Heart Attack
- Chest discomfort
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body, including shoulder pain
- Unusual shortness of breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Breaking out in a cold sweat
- Abnormal indigestion, including nausea