Applications will be accepted ONLY through ERAS. All positions are ONLY offered through the National Residency Matching Program.
Requirements for categorical & transitional program:
1244140C0 Categorical Internal Medicine (3 years)
1244999P0 Transitional Year (1 year)
To be considered for an interview, the following materials must be submitted through ERAS by December 31st.
- Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application
- Curriculum Vitae (ERAS format is acceptable)
- Personal statement
- Dean's letter
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably including one from the Chair of the Department of Medicine
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE steps 1&2 (Minimum USMLE score required to be selected for interview 85 and above on first attempt on both USMLE step 1&2)
- Demonstration of current medical education (i.e., graduated from medical school within the last 5 years or 1 year of clinical experience such as transitional or preliminary year)
- Valid ECFMG certification, including successful completion of the CSA (if applicable)
- Email address
If you are an Osteopathic Medical Student, we require at least USMLE Step 1 scores to be considered for an interview. COMLEX alone does not meet this requirement.
Maryland General Hospital adheres to the standards and guidelines for the employment of non-immigrants as established by Federal immigration laws and the US Department of Labor. Non-immigrant alien residents will be sponsored under the J-1 visa only. Completion of a minimum of four months of active clinical experience in a U.S. or Canadian medical school prior to November is preferred. Clinical observerships are also encouraged. So that we can accurately capture this information, enter this information in the appropriate areas in ERAS, e.g., under Residency/Fellowship/Work or under Volunteer/Other Work.
Interview and application process
- The Residency Coordinator downloads applications from the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS)
- After review of applications, the Residency Coordinator sends out letters of invitation to selected applicants.
- Selected applicants contact the Residency Coordinator to schedule an interview (October to January)
- After scheduling the interview, the Residency Coordinator e-mails the interview confirmation, which includes directions to Maryland General and the department
- Interview includes:
- Meeting with other faculty and the Program Director
- Maryland General Hospital tour
- Lunch with a current resident
- Morning report and grand rounds
- Match results announced in mid-March
IMPORTANT: After applying, please check your email frequently. Invitations, confirmation of your interview, and other correspondence will be sent ONLY via email. Please DO NOT CALL the Department of Medicine to check on the status of your application. Selected candidates will be invited for interview.