About Maryland General Hospital
Maryland General Hospital has had a long history of working to keep our community healthy. Located in midtown Baltimore, Maryland General is a 200-bed non-profit, community teaching hospital. We are part of the University of Maryland Medical System.
MGH Main Entrance, late 1800's
We provide care in more than 30 medical specialties. Each year, we serve about 100,000 patients. Through our free community health screenings, we also help more than 15,000 people a year manage health issues like diabetes and high blood pressure.
Our team of more than 500 doctors and 1,100 employees cares for each patient with expertise and compassion. We also partner with community groups, churches, health fairs, and schools to bring health education and other services to Baltimore residents.
In 1881, a group of doctors started Maryland General Hospital as a 50-bed teaching hospital. Within three years, the number of beds had tripled – an early sign of how the hospital would continue to grow over the years to meet the needs of the community. In 1891, the School of Nursing was founded. During its 96-year history, it was the training ground for thousands of nurses until it closed in 1987.
MGH Doctors, circa 1910
Throughout the decades, the hospital continued to grow to serve the community. We added new facilities, technology, and services to provide the best care to our patients. In 1984, the leadership of Maryland General made a formal commitment to remain in Baltimore City, because we are dedicated to providing high quality care delivered with compassion to our community.
Growing to Serve our Patients
During the late 1980s and 90s, we expanded our facilities and services even more. We built a professional office building which provided new physicians’ offices, opened the Community Health Education Center which offers free health screenings, and added the Family Health Center which provides primary and specialty care.
MGH circa early 1980's
Maryland General joined the University of Maryland Medical System in 1999. The partnership means patients have access to the resources of a large research hospital plus the personal attention of a community hospital.
As we moved into the new century, Maryland General’s neurosurgery services were honored as among the nation’s best by U.S. News and World Report. We added a number of new services, including Geriatrics and a special unit for elderly patients, the Joslin Diabetes Center (now the University of Maryland Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology) and the Maryland Vascular Center.
A New Era
MGH main entrance, 2012.
Maryland General continues to grow to bring patients the latest treatments and technology. In 2010, we opened a new facility. The facility includes state-of-the-art operating suites, an 18-bed intensive care unit, a new recovery room, laboratory and pharmacy. We also added a new Surgical Specialty Suite where patients can receive pre- and post-surgical care in a comfortable, convenient setting.
In March 2012, we opened the new Maryland Wound Healing Center, a state-of-the-art outpatient center specializing in the treatment of chronic wounds and advanced conditions that have not responded to previous therapies.
As we move forward, Maryland General Hospital will continue to grow and expand the services we offer as part of our ongoing commitment to support the health of our community.